Friday, June 14

The Issues of Ignorance and Stereotyping in American Society

So today, one of my close friends that I have known for about five years spontaneously sent me a text message asking me if I am a lesbian. The first conclusion I came to was that she assumes that because I am a female with a pixie cut, I must be a lesbian, which I find to be a quite false stereotype that many short haired woman fall into. The fact that woman have to prove their sexual orientation once they crop their hair is utterly ridiculous. If men with long hair do not have their sexuality questioned, then why should a woman with short hair have their sexuality constantly questioned. Furthermore, I find it highly offensive as a woman with short hair that people assume that cutting your hair short automatically means that the woman is trying to establish herself as a lesbian. One another note, I believe she also came to this presumption through knowledge of the fact that I am a proud feminist, and I find it quite ridiculous that in todays society, if a woman believes that there should be equality among genders, they MUST be a lesbian. This is more of a personal ranting post, but bottom line is that I was upset by my friends spontaneous questioning of my sexual orientation, considering her knowledge of my feminist views and my cropped hair cut. To conclude, I believe it is wrong to make an assumption about someone's sexually orientation based upon their appearance and their views on gender equality. Although this is a personal post, I am sure other woman can identify with this if they are a feminist and/or sport a pixie cut. We constantly have dealt with the issue of ignorant members of our society questioning our sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment